Tuesday, April 10, 2007

LEAVE YOUR iPOD AT HOME

USATF recently adopted a new rule banning the use of headphones and other music devices at all USATF-sanctioned running events. USATF, the governing body for long-distance running and track & field inthe United States, adopted the rule (#144.3b) in an effort to increase runner safety. Previously, USATF guidelines recommended the prohibition of music devices for long-distance running events, but such a measure had not been mandatory until this year. The new rule provides: "The visible possession or use by athletes of video or audio cassette recorders or players, TVs, CD or DVD players, radio transmitters or receivers, mobile phones, computers, or any similar devices in the competition area shall not be permitted." http://www.usatf.org/about/rules/2007/2007USATFRules_Article4.pdf. Race officials are expected to start enforcing this mandatory rule immediately as non-enforcement could invalidate insurance for the events. Put simply, leave your iPods at home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with USATF more! not only is it a safety problem but it keeps athletes from really focusing on their racing performance. As a high school cross country coach, both of these are top priorities to me. I'm far from an elite runner but I've told my runners "no one wearing head phones has beaten me in a road race yet".

I'd Puck That said...

I couldn't disagree more! First of all, not all of us are in it for the competition and trying to finish in first place. I'm out there to have fun and get some exercise, not competing for top 3awards. As for safety, a) it is possible to have the volume low and still be able to hear everything going on around you, b) I've been in a "zone" on some long distance runs that even without headphones, I was engrossed so much in myself that I had no idea what was going on around me except right in front of me, and c) is there a rule banning hearing impared people from running? Also, I use the Nike+ a lot to not only track my times and distances overall, but also help me during races / training on my pace, time, distance ran / remaining, etc. I can use a computer on my bike in a duathlon/triathlon, but not an iPod/Nike+ to monitor my running? When I start competing for cash and sponsorships, tell me I can't wear an iPod. For now, let me pay my $50 and enjoy my weekend recreation.